Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Why Can't We Have Both?

I’m a Southern Baptist pastor, so naturally I’m going to support Mike Huckabee for president. Or at least that’s what some people might think. After all, Huckabee and I have so much in common. He’s a former Baptist minister; I’m a current one. He worked in the radio industry before serving in full-time vocational ministry; so did I. He and I both hail from a state that begins with the first letter of the alphabet. Why would I not support him?

Well, let me start out by saying that I think Mike Huckabee is a wonderful Christian man and a quality human being. I’ve been reading his book Character Makes A Difference, and I can honestly imagine him being one of my close friends if we ever had the chance to know one another. In fact, I could see him coming over to my place to watch football and eat chicken wings. I think if I knew him personally, I would genuinely like the man and enjoy spending time with him. But does that mean I think he’d make a great president? Not especially.

I know Huckabee’s doing well with evangelical voters right now, and that’s primarily because he’s a Christian who is strongly opposed to abortion. And I applaud him for that. In fact, if the election in November were between Huckabee and any of the pro-choice Democrats (take your pick), I’d choose the pro-life Huckabee in a second. Huckabee’s social conservatism would be a much better alternative than the liberalism espoused by Clinton, Obama and Edwards. That choice for me would be a no-brainer.

But what about some of the other issues, apart from abortion, that Huckabee is not so conservative on. I hate to go all Dr. Phil on everybody, but the best indicator of future behavior is taking a look at past behavior. And if Governor Huckabee’s record in Arkansas is any indicator, I’m afraid he leaves a lot to be desired for a conservative voter like me. So just for a moment, let’s look at some of the things that the former governor supported that are serious warning signs on my radar screen:

1. He has opposed school choice initiatives (vouchers), earning him the endorsement of the National Education Association in his state. That is a major red flag for me.

2. He supported giving scholarships to illegal immigrants in Arkansas. And when asked what his plan for securing the border is, his answer: Chuck Norris. That’s funny, but it tells me nothing. I think we need a president who will get tough on illegal immigration. Taxpayer funded social programs need to go to our legal citizens, not to those who are here illegally.

3. He has shown contempt for our foreign policy concerning the war on terror. Despite some missteps, I believe this war against Islamic extremists is one that is morally justified. And it is a war we must win. I don’t think Mike Huckabee is the best choice to be commander-in-chief given the post 9-11 world we are living in.

4. He raised taxes while he was governor of Arkansas. Perhaps if he wouldn’t have given those scholarships to illegal immigrants, he could have balanced the budget without a tax hike.

That’s just four of the issues that concern me with Mike Huckabee. Yes, he’s a social conservative who believes like I do that life is sacred and should be protected from the womb to the tomb. But he’s not a conservative in the mold of Ronald Reagan, and Christians who think he is should take a good, hard look.

It seems to me that the Republican Party has become split between the social conservatives (i.e. the Christian right) and those who are fiscal conservatives (i.e. Rudy Giuliani). And my question is: why? Why does it have to be that way? Why can’t we have both?

Why can’t we have a candidate who is both socially and fiscally conservative? Why can the GOP not unite around a nominee who would bring both sides of the debate together and forge a coalition that could defeat Obama or Hillary in November? You can call me a dreamer, but I don’t think it’s too late for that to happen.

When it comes to elections, I vote on issues. Not party lines, not personalities, but issues. What the candidate stands for. And although I’ve never personally endorsed anybody for president, I do see one man who seems to be the best choice when it comes to the issues that are important to me. He is both a fiscal and a social conservative. He’s a straight talker, and he doesn’t check the polls before he makes a decision. He does what he believes is right, regardless of what popular opinion might be. His name is Fred Thompson. I believe he is the clear choice for those who want a solid conservative, both socially and fiscally, in the White House.

For all my evangelical brothers and sisters out there, let me urge you to think before you vote. Don’t vote for somebody just because they will be a “strong Christian leader.” Vote for the person who will do the best job as the leader of the free world.

And for my Southern Baptist brethren, let me remind you that we’ve had two of our own elected president in modern times: Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Maybe that should tell us something.

7 comments:

Jeff Brooks / TwoTwenty Ministries said...

I can't wait to see someone's comments on this one. :)

Shane "George" Lambert said...

That certain someone you speak of never bothers to read my blog, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :)

Jeff Brooks / TwoTwenty Ministries said...

Can't have both now - he's dropped out. How about Romney/Thompson? :)

Shane "George" Lambert said...

Romney/Thompson is my Plan B. That's what I'm hoping for at this point. Would prefer that much more than McCain/Thompson. We'll see what happens. It's going to be interesting.

Jeff Brooks / TwoTwenty Ministries said...

Yeah. I would really have to hold my nose to vote for McCain just to try to keep Hillary or Obama out of office.

Anonymous said...

What's your beef with illegal immigrants? Do you think Jesus would turn illegals away? Of course not. These days, however, right-wing Christian bible-thumpers like yourself have strayed thousands of miles from the true word of Christ. And, in the end, you will pay for it. Of course, you'll be the only one to read this comment. Like the Bush administration, you will erase all evidence that tends to criticize or contradict your political agenda.

Shane "George" Lambert said...

To compare me with the Bush administration; now that's just offensive.

I don't have any beef with immigrants as long as they come here by the legal channels we have in place. But as far as illegals go, I'm definitely upset that our country can't do a better job of policing the borders and enforcing our current laws. I'm more upset with us than I am with them.

Would Jesus turn them away? Not from salvation, certainly not. But would he agree with their illegal actions? I don't think so.

And not that it matters, but I've ministered to illegal immigrants and led some of them to Christ. It was an awesome experience, and given the chance I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But I still think they are wrong to be here illegally.